For a special occasion Venison is a good choice. It is affordable and lower in fat than many red meats and also very tasty.
Venison and Red Pepper Stew
(Serves 2 as a main meal)
- 300g diced venison
- 2tbsp flour
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 red peppers
- 1 leek
- 2 large field mushrooms
- 250ml beef stock
- 250ml red wine
- Sprig of thyme
- Pat diced venison dry with kitchen paper and toss with flour.
- Heat olive oil in a casserole dish and quickly brown the venison all over.
- Add sliced onion and crushed garlic clove until golden.
- Add finely sliced red pepper, sliced leek and sliced field mushrooms, and cook until vegetables start to soften.
- Pour in the beef stock and red wine, bring to the boil, cover and then leave to simmer gently for about 2 hours, or until the venison is tender.
- Alternatively simmer in the oven at 160C/Gas Mark 3 for the same amount of time.
- Top up with extra stock or water as necessary.
- Serve with mash and steamed brocolli.